Monday, August 9, 2010

Up up and away



Well, the time has arrived. Off into the world.
I am currently sitting at Logan airport (who knew you could get free wifi access here?) and typing a new blog entry to prevent my sister from going crazy clicking the refresh button to see if I've posted something, and to keep you all updated on
my increasingly interesting life.
Packing was... fun? It's a weird experience trying to cram what you think you will need for a couple years into 2 bags and a carryon. You just have to ke
ep thinking that you can buy stuff there, as I have read in countless PC blogs, Senegal is not the moon. There are people there. Who, occasionally, buy things.
Here is what my living room looked like a few days ago:
I organized everything into piles by category and took an inventory on my computer, which you can see on the coffee table. After several hours, it was finally organized into some semblance of a transport-able entity:
Hopefully I'll be able to move it all through Regan when I get there in 2 hours. I will get my exercise for the day. It's a bit over 80 pounds total, but oh well.
It was around this time, looking at my bags, that my Peace Corps experience began. I looked over at the pile of empty wrappers and bags from all the new stuff I bought and imagined how different my life would be and how much my views of American culture would change after being away for a while. I also reflected on just how much crap I had managed to fit into those 3 bags. Here's the packing list if you're curious that I made while I was putting everything in order. You don't have to read it all, but it gives you an idea of what one brings when anticipating living for 2 years in Africa:

Clothing:

· 1 pair jeans

· 5 skirts

· 2 pairs running shorts

· 1 pair jean shorts

· 1 pair sweatpants

· 1 outfit for going out

· 1 fancy dress/blazer

· 2 running shirts

· 5 sports bras

· 14 regular shirts-some sleeves, some sleeveless

· 1 long sleeve shirt

· 1 pair rainpants

· 1 sweatshirt

· 4 pairs socks

· 2 bathing suits- 1 bikini, 1 1-piece

· 1 pair nice sandals

· 1 light windbreaker

· 1 raincoat

· 1 EMS button-down shirt

· 1 set of sheets

· 10 pairs underwear

· Small fleece blanket

· 1 small bath towel

· 1 quick dry towel

· 2 bandanas

· 1 hat-brimmed

· 1 quick-dry baseball cap

· 1 belt

· 1 school laundry bag (for those of you who know what I’m talking about, “Get Involved!”)

· Tevas

· Chacos

· Running shoes

· Hiking boots

Personal Hygiene/Toiletry:

· Anti-itch cream! (afterbite and hydrocortisone)

· Toothpaste

· Face wash

· Face/body sunscreen

· Some cover-up (I know it’s Peace Corps, but I want to look nice for conferences and going out in Dakar or something)

· 2-in-1 shampoo

· Deodorant

· 2 tubes moisturizer

· Variety of feminine products, including Diva cup

· A couple of razors

· 2 new toothbrushes

· Hair ties/headbands/clips

· Small thing of moisturizer

· Nail clipper/file

· A bunch of hotel soaps, enough to last a few months at least

Medication:

· Way more than I would ever need in a lifetime. Thanks mom. Sorry medical office.

Office Supplies-ish stuff:

· Some tacks- they came in handy for everything in college, I don’t see why they won’t come in handy in Senegal

· Roll of scotch tape

· Some post-it notes

· Baggy of pens/pencils/highlighters, etc

· American stamps to send stuff back with people

· Planner- my life blood

· Regular notebook for writing letters, taking notes, etc

· Bunch of manila envelopes to organize stuff

Electronics:

· Laptop

· Pack of AA batteries-only needed in headlamps

· Headset for cellphone, it’s nice sometimes

· Wind-up/solar flashlight from L.L. Bean

· Mini camera tripod (thanks dad)

· 2 small headlamps

· New camera (waterproof/dustproof, yay!) and charger

· Old camera- doesn’t matter if it gets stolen/broken but it works as a backup

· 2 spare sets of headphones

· Ipod/case

· Webcam/headset for skype

· Small extra microphone

· Lens cleaner/cloth for camera

· Spare SD cards

· Old running watch-water resistant with stopwatch, etc

· External HD for backups

· Solar calculator

Outdoorsy stuff:

· 2 bottles 99% deet, because I like the idea of burning off my skin in exchange for not getting bug bites

· 2 bottles sweat-resistant bug spray, 25% deet, because I also hate the idea of the bug spray not staying on me

· Rest of our bottle of “mountain suds” biodegradable all-purpose soap. I suppose it works if I’m on a bike trip somewhere and am washing up in a river.

· Swiss army knife

· Multi tool

· Small pruning sheers, also a multi tool (god I love Ocean State Job Lot)

· Waterproof bag to use as laundry bag/waterproofing on trips

· Compass from Aunt and Uncle

Miscellaneous:

· 2 nalgenes/1regular water bottle

· 2 boxes drink mix

· Small umbrella

· Small roll duct tape

· Books

· Bag of different spices

· Several cheap pairs of ocean state sunglasses

· Pictures/other small memorabilia (shell to remind me of rhode island, some old tickets, etc)

· 3 boxes plastic baggies- 1 snack size and 2 freezer size

· A few plastic food containers

· 1 masterlock padlock to use on luggage/trunk in country if I get one

· Small sewing kit

· Picture book from Aunt

· French dictionary/verb book

· Small hand mirror

I'm pretty sure my room back home is still a bit of a mess, but what can you do when you only have a few days to organize your life, visit with your family, and prepare to embark on this ridiculous journey of mine. Sorry mom and dad.

Well, off to staging. See you on the flip side. AKA Virginia.


No comments:

Post a Comment