Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mangrove Madness

Sometimes I find that I’m so busy it’s hard to stay on top of everything going on here, and some days it just stops and I’m back to being bored again. You can never really fall into a routine. The past week I was up in Thies teaching the new stage for a day, then traveled through Kaolack and onto Toubacouta for a mangrove reforestation, and now I’m back to site for a week before continuing onto Dakar for an English camp and my midservice exam. These days, I live in this perpetual state of disbelief; it’s been over a year already in country, I still have a year left to go, I get to go home for vacation in a few months, I’m teaching the new stage and becoming a second-year volunteer, running meetings and actively planning projects and trainings. You never quite get over these things.

Peace Corps has made me, however, one of the world’s greatest travelers, because I can be stuck in a car for long periods of time and not notice it, even when squished in the back of a sept-place with large Senegalese woman on either side of me and breathing in fumes. Podcasts of “This American Life” and “Radiolab” do help matters, but when it’s over and I still have to bike 30 km over a dirt road back to site, I don’t blink an eye. Traveling in America will be heaven for me when this is all over.

At any rate, training was enjoyable, and I got to try my hand at teaching an hour-long session and using my experiences as teaching tools. I probably was a bit nervous at first, because at one point a trainee raised his hand and jokingly asked “Do you always talk this fast? You’re not from California, I assume.” I slowed down after that. Overall, it went well, and I then got to take advantage of a free afternoon in Thies to go buy stuff at the toubab stores downtown.

The mangrove reforestation went swimmingly as well. To save money in my travels, I camped out at one of the campemonts where the Tobuacouta volunteer lives. Some other volunteers were staying in a campemont with a pool, and the people working there let us all come over and use it, so everyone hung out in the pool at night and caught up. The reforestation itself involved a trip to the delta, an hour long boat-ride out to the reforestation area and a couple of hours of sticking mangrove seeds in the mud out in the sun. It’s more fun that it sounds, but also very sunscreen-intensive. There were large groups of kids that were enthusiastically running around and sticking the seeds in the ground as fast as they could, which limited the work that we had to do, and the whole event culminated in a water fight and some sharing of some boisson. It was a pretty successful day.

Now I’m just in transition. Outplanting is done, the rainy season is starting to wind down, I’m waiting for the teachers to get back to start the school gardens up again, and I’m planning some other tourney-type of projects with the doctor and some other volunteers that I’ll write about in the coming months. For the time being, my days consist of reading, playing guitar, blogging, and getting caught in the rain in Pape’s field. Fun times.

~E

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I hope all is going well with you with health and your projects. Jamm ak Jamm.

    Are you reforesting the mangroves because of salt water incursion due to drought? What is happening to the mangroves and why are you reforesting them? For us long ago bio majors, please. Jeri jeff waay.

    One note: Your blog is hard to read on my computer and I don't know if it is my problem or format. I see the text in a light gray color on a white background, i.e., no contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    sorry about the blog formatting, I typed it out on a word document and uploaded it afterwards, and for some reason the formatting didn't match up. After trying and trying, I couldn't figure out how to fix it without retyping the whole thing, and eventually I just gave up and started a new document, so my most recent post should be better.

    As the the mangroves, theres a variety of reasons the mangroves need reforestation, but unfortunately I cannot tell you for certain all of them. I believe people are cutting many down because after all these years, firewood is still their main fuel source for cooking, and many campemonts are causing stress on the environment and disrupting the delicate balance of the brackish water ecosystem. Drought hasn't really been a problem in West Africa, those stories you've heard on the news have all been associated with East Africa, which as you know, is a very long way away from here. Mangroves have an amazing ability to filter salt out of their systems, and they have "sacraficial leaves" that they filter their salt into and kill off to save the rest of the tree. I'll research it more and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nunga def Emily,

    Thank you for your service to the people of Senegal. And thank you for your answer to my comment.

    The reason that I asked about salt water incursion was that a fellow volunteer and friend of mine lived in Bakadaji near Sedhiou. The rice fields that were near the river there were being destroyed by salt water incursion.

    I hope you are staying safe, healthy and happy.

    Allah ma i silo diallah. (May Allah make your road sweet. in Mandinka)

    Sincerely,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete