Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Goodbye Keur Madaro

Wrote this yesterday then my computer decided it didn’t want to connect to the internet, so here we go. Thank god for Word.

Sort of sad story. We were supposed to have our final language tests in the village this morning and then have the afternoon to pack and spend the last few hours chatting with our families. This morning, as I was reviewing for the exam and chatting with my siblings, Spencer showed up at my house telling me that Aissatu was sick and a car was already on its way to pick us up. I rushed to put all of my things together and said a relatively quick goodbye to my family as I tried to explain that no, I was not going to be back that afternoon, and I will see them when I can go visit in December during IST. (IST, for those of you who are lacking in Peace Corps lingo, means in-service training, and occurs a few months after our initial PST when we all go back to Thies for a couple weeks to do some more advanced tech training.)So thus I am back in Thies, took my language exam with the program language coordinator while my teacher recovers at home. I would have left around now anyway, but still, I will miss them. Posted a few pictures of the last few minutes at homestay on the homestay album. I am about to consider my online album organization a lost cause and start from scratch after swear-in.

At any rate, the last week of homestay was pretty nice. We took an afternoon to come into the market in Thies so I could print some pictures for the family and get an album to put them in as a last nice gift to them. Also, the three of us trainees all bought chickens for the families to make a special last dinner with them last night. It is a huge treat for them to have chicken or any sort of meat, so despite the fact that I am now out about half of my walkaround money, it was a worthwhile last thought. Chickens here run around 2500 CFA each, which is the equivalent of 5 dollars American. I bought three for the family, which in America is an extremely cheap last gift, but considering the fact that I make 28000 CFA (about 60 bucks) every other week, it was a pretty significant gift.

Now, the madness begins. Tomorrow we have a few wrap-up type of sessions and logistics for swear-in and install, and then Thursday afternoon we have our family reception! Fatou, my training mother/counterpart/sister will come to meet me here and we can dress up and have good food and dance, then it’s D-Day! Swear in occurs Friday in Dakar, pictures and stories to come. We have a day here in Thies preparing, and then we’re off to Kaolack house for 2 days to go buy stuff we need to install into our new homes. Me, Amy, and Garrison will be going to a hotel in Sokone for a night on the way to Toubacouda to make transport for install easier the next day, and finally, on the 20th, I move into my “dekk bu bess,” or my new home. Logistics for you lovely people back home: don’t send stuff to the Thies address anymore, since it won’t get here on time. Stand by for further instructions, since I’ll be getting a box in Sokone in a few days that will likely be a shared box with a couple of other volunteers. I will explain when I know more. When I get to Kaolack, I will posted a wish list, since it seems many of you lovely people are interested in sending me presents from the States. I cannot express my true and undying gratitude if you decide to do so, as it is amazing what trivial items you appreciate when you do not see them for a long time.

As always, stay tuned. Love from Africa,

E

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily!!
    Glad to see things are going well in Africa. It´s so cool to read your blogs once in a while :)
    Stay well,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete